Saturday, March 20, 2010
Jon Stewart parodies Glenn Beck...BEST Daily show ever. Plus jojo's Census & live blogging about the historic health care vote!
MENU OF THE DAY:
Video: this was Jon Stewart's show I think on March 18. This is the best thing he's done since he took on Crossfire years ago. He is making a terrific dead-on point by doing ridiculous EXACTLY the way Glenn Beck does it. I always love Jon Stewart's impersonations because they are usually so bad they are good, but this one takes the cake. The original episode took more than half the show and you can probably view on the Daily Show website, but i could only find this one on YouTube. (This is a classic and i'll probably keep it on my DVR for a long time without erasing it. )
The Best Thing Today: it was sunny and nearly 70 degrees! I was at my brother's house where they were having a garage sale today. What a great day to be outside. Easily the nicest day all year.
on iTunes right now: Brett Dennen with Missy Higgins singing Tom Petty's "Breakdown".
Books: I just bought Olive Kitteridge which won the Pulitzer Prize. So far i think i will love it so i am saving it for my trip.
Speaking of: i have to take my "practice" Xanax pill tomorrow to be sure it doesn't make me crazy. I have 5 pills from my doctor for the flight. Two down, two back, and one to practice. I plan on posting tomorrow under the Xanax influence. I was going to do it tonight but thought i should wait until Brian gets back from Eastern Washington in case something happens. (I don't do medication very well.)
What i keep forgetting: To check my Hertz rental car!
What i DID remember: to return my Census.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
1. I think i might be an elitist. Lakewood, where i live, is somewhat of what i call a 'lunchbox town" and it pretty much caters to military personnel. It has mostly franchise eateries, TONS of teriyaki places, sports bars, at least four bikini barista coffee huts, but NOT ONE wine bar. And even though it has many mini malls and one Towne Center (which has many vacant buildings), there is no place to buy a pair of decent nylons.
They also have a tavern here called The Schooner that's been here since the 1970's. And as i was driving buy it today it had two contests on their reader board:
Hot Legs Contest
Air Guitar Contest
and i thought to myself. I need to move.
2. I was trying to post a photo of our new Seattle Seahawk's back up quarterback, Charlie Whitehurst. OMG. he is so freaking cute. Like a more handsome version of Serpico. But i couldn't find a good one.
3. I used to LOVE Joe Namath back in the 70's which is when i loved to watch the NFL. I also thought Jim McMahon was a hoot in the 80's. And i think i've already mentioned here how i swooned over Roman Gabriel.
4. I once dated a quarterback when i lived in Zama Japan. His name was John Dumont. And he was so popular (and i was not), but his friend told me he liked me, so just like that, we were going steady. I was a freshman, and though he was a sophomore, he was the Varsity starting quarterback, which was super cool. I think we lasted about three weeks. (And for three weeks i got to be popular by association.) We hardly ever talked. We just walked to class together and he carried my books. He dumped me later for a vivacious cheerleader.
5. The reasons i can't join Facebook is because i think i would spend way way way too much time on it. Ironically, at work, we are moving towards that with our communications and i was the one leading the charge to move in that direction (after attending a social networking workshop). So i will have to probably join. But i might do it with a pseudonym. If i do, i'll let y'all know so we can all be friends!
6. Though i am not naturally a nostalgic person and i have no desire to look up high school friends, since i didn't have that many anyway (having gone to three high schools during my military bratdom) i could still see myself Facebooking for hours. And i don't want to do that. Blogging is hard enough.
7. I loved this last week's episode of Lost because it was about Sawyer. There has been no hotter cop since Michael Douglas in The Streets of San Francisco. How cool of the writers to make him a cop in Sideways Lost. I still don't know WTF is going on though really. I was not happy to see Bad Sayid sit like a Buddha while Kate nearly got killed by Claire, though i was secretly hoping Kate would be killed. But still, Sayid did not come to the rescue. That's not the Sayid we know and love and i'm sorry he is gone.
7. I turned in my Census today. It was no big deal. I thought they asked more stuff. But they really only want to know how many people live in your house. Anyway it got me thinking about my own Census and what i would ask.
So here are some questions for y'all for the jojo Census:
a) How many iPods do you own?
b) How many computers?
c) Do you have a TV in your kitchen?
d) Do you have a bottle of wine in your refrigerator right now?
e) Do you know what your blood pressure is?
f) Do you live in a house that has more than 1000 sq feet per person living in it?
g) If you do, do you have a maid?
h) Do you floss every day?
i) Who do you have a crush on right now? (can be a celebrity)
j) How many books do you own?
k) If you had to choose one all-time favorite television show of your lifetime so far, what would you choose?