I am writing from a Downtown Portland hotel. We arrived on Saturday and leave tomorrow on Wednesday. Brian is here for a communications and marketing conference and is busy with some of the conference dinners with other college folks so i get to hang out alone, which i like.
I haven't had my hotel room cleaned so far yet (since i've been in it and just clean it myself, including the little kitchen since we have a little suite) but since i'm running out of toilet paper i need it done today so i'm hanging out downstairs where they serve a buffet breakfast.
I'm just going to start numbering and go with it. i needed a photo so i put this up from a few years ago from my car window.
1. I like Portland better than Seattle. It's an easier drive getting here even though it's longer. I like walking around here more, easier to get my bearings. And it may not be true, but i feel safer walking alone.
2. I can't believe i forgot my running shoes. Brought clothes, even my knee brace and extra socks but no shoes. I was distracted since i was packing and also preparing the same morning to help give a baby shower for a niece with Brian's side of the family. (We left after the shower).
3. I am not a big fan of showers, wedding, baby, whatever. And don't even go there about the grandmother showers! I think it's because guys don't have to do this. And nowadays there feels to be some pressure to come up with a really nice expensive present that feels more like the present you buy for the wedding or when the baby is born. And i always feel alittle bit sorry for the person who has to open all those presents and be excited in front of all these women who don't really know each other and make polite chit chat. We had to play a stupid game (not my idea - the new grandmother came up with this). But at least we were able to nix her stupid idea of having we 'aunties' giving the shower do this choreographed dance where we dress up like WE are pregnant.
4. I don't know why, but i really hate the term 'auntie' and hate being called that. (Kind of like how i hate 'hubby', 'preggers', etc.
5. I was only in charge of helping set up and clean up and paying for the mimosa stuff and mini croissants. Having said that, i am giving one for my niece Ashley who is getting married but Kylee is helping me and we get to be in charge. And there will be wine, not this half and half kind of drink.
6. March has always been my least favorite month on the calendar. #1 because when i worked it was the one month that had NO holiday off at all and #2 because it is gray nearly every day. (At least it used to be.) But this month i have been gone from my house for i think the count is 14 days total (because of Manzanita and the remodel and now Portland) so it has made the month go by quickly. I should find something else to remodel next March.
7. My husband says that i need to quit watching the HG channel. And Sarah/louie and i talk about how maybe watching too much HG could be detrimental to our marriages. lol... My nephew Brian just emailed me some photos of the bamboo floor that he is laying himself and it looks fabulous! Then he sent me photos of his living room and how how rearranged it, asking what did i think ....said he was catching "the Aunt Jo bug". (He actually has a knack for aesthetic design i think!)
8. Now that the carpet is all gone, he can teach Brady to moonwalk!
9. Ted Cruz announced that he is running for President and i couldn't be happier! This will be fun.
10. It could be enough to get Jon Stewart to reconsider leaving The Daily Show. (One can hope.)
7. I forgot how tricky posting a new blog post is from my iPad so i'll sign off and go back and see if my room is clean yet.