Friday, January 31, 2014
I don't write you often asking for stuff, You know that. And i hope You didn't take me seriously when i prayed in the past for stupid stuff like being chosen for the News Tribune Guest Columnist or winning that Shun knife in the Thug Kitchen contest. I imagine the cuss words on Thug Kitchen's site might be kind of hard for you to ignore, (though i do need to point out that nowhere does TK use YOUR name in vain).
But this time I really mean it. I am asking for You to please forget for this week those American Idol contestants who pray to You so they can go to Hollywood and instead focus on The Super Bowl, which is this Sunday (just in case You didn't know).
(I am so relieved that the Super Bowl is happening BEFORE the Olympics because i know You will be SUPER busy with trying to answer all the prayers in the weeks coming.)
This is our second chance at winning and it will be heartbreaking to come this far and lose again. I am thinking that You, most of all, must love an underdog. And while we have played like champions all season, Denver is scary! And Peyton Manning is so revered that it's almost like he's a saint already! And if You don't choose us over Denver I would appreciate knowing why You like Denver more. If it's because of the rain, it's not our fault, it's YOURS, right? (Not that I am complaining, i love it here!)
We do have some very religious guys on our team who really love You, especially our esteemed Quarterback, Russell Wilson. Plus he visits little sick kids in the hospital! And he quotes scripture on Facebook. (And it seems like y'all are buddies already.)
Russell Wilson is so hyper vigilant in his do-goodness that he's very close to being the kind of dude i can't stand. (Ironically he was the one who started me watching. But don't misunderstand me. I love the guy and wish i could marry one of my nieces off with him.)
Doug Baldwin also isn't shy about talking about You. (I'm not sure about Marshawn Lynch since he doesn't talk, but You know what's in his heart and I'm sure he has nothing but love for You and knows You are his real Boss.) I want to believe that You must have a special affinity for Richard Sherman, (my favorite player), who tells it like it is and is endearingly narcissistic.
Besides, admit it, don't You get bored sometimes with so many people talking about You all the time? (Only Richard Sherman would love that plus a few people i know in my real life who do not know about this blog.
So please God, if You could bless the Seahawks and let us win you would make so many people that i care about so happy. (I include myself in that group.) And while I don't promise that I will start going to church, i do promise that i will never ask for stupid stuff again ....(even though I am watching American Idol again this year.)
P.S. You probably already know this, but my husband bought me that Shun knife for Christmas. So maybe You did answer my prayers?
Notes to Self:
Sunset: 5:10 pm
Sunrise: 7:36 am
Extra minutes of daylight since last post: 28 minutes!
Number of cat photos i hid on Facebook: 4
Longest run this week: 58 minutes
Book: Just finished Louise Penny's "Trick of the Light"
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
|Hawks vs SF Playoffs with the Louvrak family at my brother's Rocfish bar|
|My niece Ashley in middle, her fiance Eddie and my brother Scott after the win|
I enjoy people who do not play it careful and are passionate to a fault. I get a kick out of confidence bordering on arrogance as long as the person backs it up with the real talent. And it doesn't hurt that Sherman was an honors student at Stanford (and second in his high school class). Also he is beautiful, fluid and graceful on the field. He reminds me of Muhammed Ali who i used to love when i was in junior high and high school.
1. Best Purchase: iPad Air! It is worth every penny - $668 total. I can now live blog the Academy Awards next month. I was going to wait but then decided that while i often spend money on the house, i don't on just myself.
2. Looking Forward to: SuperBowl of course. AND Bowling!
3. Accomplishment: finally got my photos organized and off memory cards. i had 1274 on my Nikon D90; 300+ on my Coolpix. They are now in appropriate files, copied in two places on a Passport drive. I have to do better at getting them off earlier so it's not such a chore.
4. Other Accomplishment: I felt like such a slug after the holidays and after all the bad eating and drinking i've been on a kick with No Weekday Wine and Brian's de-tox diet cooking. What i've discovered is that it's not difficult, except i realize how often i would have poured a glass after getting home if not for my resolution. While not an addiction, it can easily become a habit for me. I used to do the same thing, looking for a snack the minute i came in the door. I'm doing this in January to retrain the habit.
5. Addiction: HOWEVER, the one thing i actually seem to be addicted to is FRESCA. I didn't buy it for about a week but then broke down. I first told myself i wouldn't drink it at night, but i still do. I bought oranges to add to my water hoping that would satisfy. It didn't.
5. Everything Good is Bad: I recently read on Facebook from louie's son Nick a list of foods you should toss out of your frig: mayo, butter, margarine, pickles, diet soda, yogurt, processed meats and cheeses. I have all of those things in the frig. At least now i have kale, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower too!
|My new sofa with new Pottery Barn pillows|
Notes to Self:
Sunrise: 7:49 am
Sunset: 4:55 pm (This is 16 minutes MORE daylight since last week!)
Word Count: 498 words
Word Count: 498 words
Monday, January 13, 2014
Friday, January 3, 2014
|These heart shaped rocks are on the windowsill at our favorite vacation spot on Vashon Island. Rita, the owner collects them.|
Looking back at 2013:
Notable books read: Big Brother by Lionel Shriver and We are Water by Wally Lamb and Where'd You Go Bernadette? and Life of Pi
Funniest blog post i wrote this year: (i didn't have very many funny ones, but i do think this one is good... it's another religious theme, like my favorite from last year ...or the year before.) Click here for jo's funniest blog post 2013
Accomplishment: Half marathon for the second year in a row. (I have no plans so far to run another this year. I'm lucky to still be able to run.) It was my 4th time and my best time running (I think): 1:58). My other amazing feat for 2013 was that i actually cataloged every single recipe that i have saved over years and years into organized and tidy files. It took me 9 hours, but it was worth it. When i go looking for my spring risotto recipe i can now find it in less than 2 minutes !
Favorite movies: Django Unchained, Silver Linings Playbook, Life of Pi
New Vacation Spot: Manzanita, Oregon! Can't wait to go back this summer.
Discoveries: Nick Waterhouse (Musician, similar sound to The Black Keys); Thug Kitchen click here for Thug Kitchen's website. Warning: language!
People Whose Asses I Would Kick if it Were Not a Crime: Miley Cyrus. And Christina Aguilar and many folks in Congress - (too many to name because i'm trying to keep this blog shorter!), and anyone driving those huge SUVs who try to turn left (when i want to turn right) on a busy street but take up both the lanes for turning left AND right.
Best Celebrities of 2013: Jennifer Lawrence, Russell Wilson (Seahawks), Richard Sherman, Bradley Cooper.
Best Commercials: i LOVE commercials and think it would have been great to work for advertising agency. In the past years it was the E-Trade Baby. Then the All State Insurance Mayhem ads with Dean Winters. Now it's AT&T's "It's Not Complicated" ones with the little kids sitting around the the table answering the questions from the spokesman.
Best Purchase: It actually overlaps both 2013 and 2014 since it won't be completed until next week. But i think it's going to be my newly reupholstered sofa, which is being done in a dark cranberry-ish red.
Notes to Self:
Sunrise: 7:57 am
Longest Run: 63 minutes
Word Count: 388
If anybody is reading, y'all should come and add your own lists for 2013!