Wednesday, May 5, 2010
My American Idol pick.
Menu of the Day:
on iTunes: "Jesus" by Wilco. This might be my favorite Wilco song. I keep trying to get my husband to play some Wilco in his Disclaimers Band. But they are kind of stuck in the 1960's.
The Best Thing that Happened: Two things happened this week that i am very proud of being a part of. First, the very reason i joined Facebook was because i wanted to help get my union president out of office. We found out Monday that we were successful. We have a new president! This means a lot to me.
the other thing has been more emotional for me. I was on the team to interview candidates for our new UniServ Director. We found a good one today. And it was unanimous out of 9 people on the team. but i am sad to lose the retiring director. She and i came to the office in the same month in 1988. I was talking today that only Sarah/louielouie here has a longer relationship with me as one of my very best friends (other than family). I have been married three times and they don't add up to the time i have worked with Toni. So we cried together today afterwards because now it is real.
What i am NOT forgetting. They have not even told me i need a new driver license. but i happen to know that it expires this month after having it for what 10 years? Why do they not remind you? It's a fluke that i even noticed. What i don't like is that i sort of like having that 10 year old photo of me on my license.
OK. that's enough for the Menu. On with the randomness.
Disclaimer: I have had some wine, because the crying was after work at Toni's house with wine. Because if i am going to cry (which is rare) it usually involves wine.
1. I learned at a retirement workshop last weekend that i am going to take social security at age 62 because it would be stupid not to. (I just have to make sure that my huz keeps working for that health insurance for us both until i am 65.)
2. It might be worth it me to fake an illness to retire and keep him working. I think i would be a most excellent retired person.
3. What would i do?....keep tutoring in the schools, maybe two days a week. Read lots of books. Watch all seasons of Lost in a row. Watch all kinds of tv shows on DVDs, take a cooking class. Take some kind of creative class. Join a flyfishing group. Blog. Buy stuff on iTunes. Facebook. Nap. Write Letters to the Editor. Paint a wall. (I think i would have a full day doing just these things.)
4. I am afraid to go back to the paint store to buy a different version of the stucco-y yellow that i wanted because i think the paint dude will think i am hitting on him, that i am pretending my colors aren't what i want. And this is not true. I think he keeps talking to me too much and i get distracted and make bad choices about colors. Because normally i get it right. But i have to say i do NOT like this new color that i posted about earlier here. And i will go crazy if i don't change it soon.
5. Julie tells me he doesn't work Mondays. So i think i will check it out then.
6. I am starting to think that Facebook is taking over blogs. I resisted Facebook for this very reason because i like the blogging because it has more depth. But now i can see how this might happen. Already i find myself not being able to keep up with everyone as much now. So while i find myself liking (but not loving) Facebook, i am wondering if this is the end of our blogging.
7. I watched Lost since i posted this. I am sad. Still confused, but sad.
8. I got my driver's license today after an hour and a half wait! I haven't had a new photo for 8 years (since i got married). My new photo looks better than my old one. That's cool.