The other night when my husband Brian and i were outside on the patio playing cards, enjoying the summertime and drinking wine we were talking about work because we were both back to work after our vacation. And he brought up something about a meeting he had to attend where they talked about quote core values unquote. (He is communications and marketing director for a small college where we live.)
In the union office where i work we use that term often too. And i have always hated terms like that.
And so i said, "I HATE those kinds of academic professional termages.... (I can make up words like 'termages' because it is MY blog.)
I added, " they should quit calling it 'core values' and instead call it "Stuff i Give a Shit About and i am Ready to Kick Somebody's Ass If They Don't Feel the Same Way".
Isn't that a more provocative way to get somebody's attention about quote core values unquote?
And i made a quick note to make this my next blog post.
So here it is. Let's talk about Stuff We Give A Shit About. (And i really don't know what i am getting ready to say, but here i go:)
1. I give a shit about having enough money to save for my future, to make my small home nice, and getting my hair done, and eating well, and helping out family members to some extent.
2. I want to be able to keep running, at least until i am 60 years old. That is my goal. But in truth, i hope to be able to run longer than that, and i say that even as i HATE running. But it makes me feel younger.
3. I give a shit about feeling younger than i am.
4. I give a shit about looking and feeling and thinking younger than my age, and i think that is not going to last much longer, maybe two years.
5. I give a shit about my family being people i love hanging out with.
6. I give a shit about people i work with who are ethical, strong, healthy minded and fun.
7. I give a shit about good TV like Newsroom. The Daily Show. Parenthood.
8. I give a shit about great music. Van Morrison never disappoints me EVER. (He is playing right now as i type.)
9. I give a shit about being married to a man who gets me. Who finds the good in me when others don't and tells me about the times he sees that in me, even if it is a small thing.
10. I give a shit about have a lot of unencumbered time to do what i want.
11. I give a shit about electing the right person in the political world.
12. I give a shit about being around generous people who aren't self absorbed and who don't always talk about themselves.
13. I give a shit about a great bottle of wine that i've never had before.
14. I give a shit about that first cup (and only cup of the day) of really strong coffee that my husband brings me in the morning when i first wake up.
15. I give a shit that right now, as of this moment, every person i love and care about is healthy. As far as i know... at this moment.