MENU OF THE DAY:
In my glass: a chardonnay from this label i thought it was the menage a tois (sp?)wine, but i just noticed only two people are on the label. menage a dos? Whatever. It's good.
On iTunes: I recently discovered just how cool the iTunes Genius feature is. Right now i am listening to Van Morrison and Ryan Adams is next and Neil Young and Teddy Thompson and all my favorites, simply because i hit Genius after a Van Morrison song. Cool.
Weather: finally mid 70's after a Northwest heatwave that is so rare it's like as rare as what...... as a vegetarian having dinner in Tony Roma's Rib place... i'll come back to this.
Book: in the photo you can see i have Richard Russo's new book. it just came out today and i was there this morning to buy it. If i have a favorite author ( and i used to think i did and that it was Pat Conroy) i have to say it is now Russo. A few pages in and i can tell i like it already.
The best thing: My brother Troy, with his lately bad luck, just turned it around. With the messy divorce, his lovable old dog dying last month, having to sell his horse Chief this week and having a hard time keeping up with the economy and building homes, which is all he has done since he was 19, he just found out today that he got the construction supervisor job he applied for and it's a job doing EXACTLY what he wants. He has been volunteering with Habitat for Humanity for a long time and wanted the kind of job that helped people but also needed real benefits, and this is the Northwest version of Habitat that offers him that. He got the job out of 100 applicants. We are so happy and relieved for him.
The worst thing: i know, i know, i shouldn't complain, but i have to go back to work Friday. But this is the first time in all my years i have not been ready. I am losing my heart for union work and i don't feel good about what i do anymore. I can't believe how my attitudes are shifting. It makes me uneasy. I think we hurt more than we help. I need to get an attitude adjustment and figure this out.
OK, enought whining about that.... here are some photos. and even a video. (if i can do this correctly.) That is me flyfishing the Skykomish river in 100 degree weather. (I actually caught four rainbow, which is surprising for me especially since it was during a heat wave.) The video below is of me casting that Brian took. I have a nice cast people tell me so he wanted to video it so i could see it. The thing about casting a fly line is you should NOT do what Brad Pitt does in "A River Runs Through It" because it's just a waste of fly line and means you are showing off. But it's fun to try and do every once in awhile. And it is pretty when you succeed, but it doesn't really catch fish. (PS, it was NOT really Brad Pitt casting either.)
1. Why do the new TV remotes have no sleep button on them to make it easier?
2. I hate those new Geico insurance commercials with the eyeballs on the stack of dollars and i bet y'all do too. I can't believe this company hasn't put together a focus group that hasn't told them already that they suck and are creepy.
3. Same with that Burger King dude.
4. But then again, you Baby Boomers will remember that terrible commercial for Shake 'N Bake and the little girl in that horrible southern accent saying "And I helped." Only she said it as "hayyyyullllped". And to this day, i remember that commercial.
5. I actually like commercials and usually hate it when my husband flips through them. My favorites are still the E-Trade baby.If you have not seen them, you must YouTube E-Trade baby and watch them all. They are the best.
6. Let me pause here and get myself another glass of that menage a dos chardonnay. (I am mixing up my foreign languages here.) I have no idea if i am spelling this correctly. I was never good in any language by English. And even English gives me fits. (I am telling on myself here: I spoke in double negatives until i was 20 years old.)
7. .....Ok, I'm back. I was just thinking about this the other day. Is it weird that i have read about 11 books on my vacation? Cause I have. And that means i don't do too much adventure stuff if i can read so much. (But then again it's nothing for me to read a book in a day.) And i have been on vacation since June 26.
8. Please, don't hate me for that.
9. I have been running alot! So i'm not TOTALLY lazy. OOOH, today I had a bit of a scare when a pit bull (off leash) came up to me. I had seen this pit bull running loose while driving around here, but never encountered him before but had been worried i might run into him since he is on my route. So when he charged up I stayed calm because i've been told about not showing fear. I just kept running and I didn't even point my pepper spray at him. And i could tell within the first mile of running with him that he was just happy to be running with me and totally harmless. He ended up running all four miles with me today even though i kept trying to lose him. He stayed every step of the way. He was just like a black lab really. However what worried me most was having people seeing this dog running with me all that way thinking it was being irresponsible running with a pit bull off leash. I kept wanting to yell at them, "He's not my dog!"
10. Ok, that's all i got. Where are Donna, MHS, umma, Lynnie, Kat? and all the other 19 followers here? What has your summer been like? Come and tell us.