Monday, January 2, 2012

Let's hope the Mayans have it wrong

Menu of the Day:

Music: I'm listening to the 'folk' genre on my iPod so right now an obscure song by Todd Snider is playing.

Book: the reason i was listening to folk music is because i was reading a book about Woodstock stories and i just finished my Kindle reading of Judy Collins biography. Now i'm going back to "Ciderhouse Rules" by John Irving.

What I'm not looking forward to: going to work tomorrow after all this time off. Today i woke up right at 8:30 when i am supposed to at work already. I've been doing that for the past two weeks because i keep waking up at 3 am.

Photo: Brian took this on New Year's Eve. (I love blurry photos!) His band opened for the Tim Hall band which is playing in the background. It was one of our most fun NYE times. At the Moose Lodge, even!~

I know most of y'all don't make New Year's Resolutions and i don't either. But i wondered if anyone has certain stuff they hope to do or get accomplished in 2012. Come and inspire us if you do!

Here are mine... There aren't very many because i haven't given much thought to the new year just yet. I just hope it's not really the end of the world.

**************************

1. I want to organize my condo friends from the pool to get together and play cards like i used to do before Dorothy died. We all love to drink wine and visit and we live a few doors down from each other.

2. Keep running, but add to my workout because i realize running doesn't do all things for a body to keep in shape.

3. I would like to drink less wine but drink better wine when i do.

4. Same with food. It would be great to try and cut back on the processed food.

5. It would be fun to take a cooking class or workshop - Brian and i are going in Feb. to a resort on the river that offers such classes at different times of the year. I'm going to check it out.

6. I need to learn more about retirement and finances and be smart about it so that when i meet with the financial planners and do something i understand better so that i don't get ripped off with fees or something.

7. I am going to change my hair color more to my more natural dark color and just hope i like it.I may even stop straightening it and let it go it's natural messed up wavy way. (i must be inspired by the Woodstock stories i've been reading! HA!)

8. I'm going to figure out how to love reading books on my new Kindle Fire. So far i've liked it. Especially since i don't need a nightlight if i wake up at 3 am. But i have to say that paying $14 for a Kindle version of Judy Collins bio was too much. It was a good read but not a great read. I knew her son committed suicide but i didn't know she was such an alcoholic. I always did like that song Suite: "Judy Blue Eyes" by her boyfriend Stephen Stills. It was that much of an in depth read really.

9. Maybe i'll start writing more outside the blog. I do plan to keep up my goal of averaging one blog post a week for 2012.

10. I will make a better list than this as the year gets on. I am not exactly what you call an over achiever. Or even an achiever at all!

1 comment:

jojo cucina cucina said...

This list is pretty self indulgent and has not one iota of charity work in it. How selfish is that? Plus it says nothing about whatever political stuff i will be doing and the truth is i will be doing it whether i like it or not because it's part of my job. We have to be sure McKenna is not elected in our state.

Today was my first day back at work and it wasn't so bad really. I think my perfect life would include a four hour job with the whole summer off, three weeks a Christmastime, and two weeks during the spring. I could probably work until i'm 75 if i could find that kind of job. I actually could do the job i have right now if it only included writing newsletters and the bookkeeping and not having to be around union members in trouble.

I'm thinking about starting a book club. I don't care if we only have 5 people. It might be fun but i will have to be selective about who to bring in because i ain't reading no Nicholas Sparks or the Shopaholic books.

After reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest again (the first time i read it I was only 17) i realized that there are many classic books we should re-read and talk about. Catcher in the Rye. The one i'm re-reading now is The Cider House Rules. Stuff like this.

I'm just looking for ways to get through this horrible gray and damp winter that we Pacific Northwesterners have to hunker down for for the next 5 months. Bowling alone won't do it for me!