Menu of the Day:
Music: YouTube of Ryan Adams doing an acoustic cover of New York New York. (Do not confuse this with the Sinatra version. Which i love, by the way.
Drinking: Some really fat chardonnay. It's so buttery it's like drinking a liquid croissant!
The Best Thing this week: Connecting with my friend Karie. We started running together last Monday and plan to keep doing it. She's a good runner and we run for an hour and it seems like no time passed at all.
The Other Best Thing: in our union office we have tapped into and organized a new group of folks who i love being around. We've been organizing phone banks around our Gubernatorial primary. And this group that we went out and handpicked is so awesome. Not only did they all show up, our completed calls last night were nearly double (and triple in some cases), surpassing every other union offices around our state. The leaders in headquarters are calling us, asking us how we do it.
The Answer: Gummi bear prizes! (That's what i tell them!)
Why this is cool: Our office is one of the lowest staffed and least funded offices and we are normally always behind.
OK... on with the stuff:
1. I want to be working on Obama's campaign. But i know i won't have the kind of time to focus on both. And the Governor race is important to my livelihood, given how we are vilifying unions these days. I've already done two rounds of phone banking and most of my work day is spent recruiting people to help. (It's not easy work. EVERYONE hates the phone!)
2. Me, most of all. (I use that as a recruitment tool.)
3. Which brings me to my rant:
Gawddamit. Why are we hating on unions and public schools? Why aren't we going after that Fuckwad from Chase Bank who blew a $2 billion trading deal ? Or the BP oil company who nearly killed off the Gulf of Mexico? Or all those other banks and the mortgage shit that we are going to be living with for years and have put so many middle class people out of work?
3. The reason i'm not crazy about working the Governor race is because i don't think he's towing a hard Democrat line. He's playing it a little too safe, dodging some of the issues. But i really REALLY don't like the other guy and i'm afraid we will end up like Wisconsin if the Republican candidate gets in.
4. Too bad Island pearl isn't posting anymore. I would welcome her response.
5. Republicans NEVER pander and I wish that Democrats would quit doing it.
6. And i wish they would quit calling me.
7. Different subject. Gawdamn menopause. I'm having the worst night sweats since my doctor took me off the birth control pills )which used to help). Every single night I wake up like i wet the bed and i have to change my shirt 2 or 3 times. When is was taking those hormones i was only doing that about once or twice a week the past year, which was an improvement, but not anymore.
8. Father's Day is Sunday. I hate Father's Day. I like my dad more than i like my mom, but because she won't let us take my dad out to his favorite bar down the street without her like we did last year, I'm just going to drop off a present and have a beer with him at his house. He's gotten so thin this past year that i wonder if he will be around next year. He's only 76 years old but he probably shouldn't be alive at all since he smokes about 3 packs a day, eats red meat probably 4 times a week, and on the grill at that. And he drinks Coors Lite like it's oxygen.
9. I bought him the new Cronkite book and i'm going to bring him T-Bone steaks (his favorite) and a case of Coors Lite, because my mom will hate it. She even hates it when he reads. So it's the perfect gift.
I think i'm going to end on #9.