Wednesday, December 11, 2013

7 Reasons I Might Get Coal in My Stocking




1. I was going to donate some money to for the Philippines Typhoon relief but haven't.  I'm trying to figure out a way to do this so that i can quit getting all the phone calls and emails. (It's not about not wanting to give the money, it's about the calls.)

2. I have to say I especially hate those kind of calls when they never leave a message. I figure they are either Planned Parenthood, The Democrats, or all of the magazine subscriptions i have decided to quit getting.

3. For example: I have recently been cancelling: Better Homes and Gardens....Vanity Fair....Cooking Light....Cuisine at Home....Sunset....and Food and Wine. (The ONLY one i am keeping is Rolling Stone.)  I don't need any more recipes! And Vanity Fair magazine has great writing in it and some pretty cool articles, but i am sick to death of wading through 1000 advertisements before i even get to the first article. And i gag on those folded page perfume-y ones that make me sneeze. Plus it's so thick that it's very difficult to read in the bathtub, (which is where i read most of my magazines).

4. At least one present i'm giving away is one that i bought awhile ago for myself and never used.  But it is perfect as a gift for someone else. It's not really re-gifting, which is one you received but didn't want. I actually did buy this for myself. I just didn't use it.

5. I have enough time on my hands that i should already be volunteering, but don't. I'm content to hang around the house on my four days off doing nothing of importance. I am shocked by how fast the time goes by. I feel a little bit guilty. But not enough. (I feel more guilty about how i don't feel guilty!)

6. I am awful about making the first contact to make amends. It's should be MORE disconcerting to me about how easily i can let people slip out of my life. I often attribute it to being a military brat who moved around a lot and went to 3 high schools. I also divorced two husbands before i was 35 years old without too much remorse. Maybe there is something to the military bratdom or maybe that al-anon counseling from my divorce taught me too much about detachment. I don't know. But when things don't seem to fit with me, i find I am not too traumatized by letting go of it.

7. I've been ignoring my political mojo. I seem to need an enemy to work against. Such as George W. Bush. THAT was when i worked hardest and was most involved (or our last Governor election). I am never more motivated than when i am against something. I am hoping by getting out of union work i will start to feel differently. I think i view myself as being at my best when i am standing up against something that i feel is totally wrong. I think it can be a good thing, but there has to be some balance that i am missing.

I am trying to keep this under 500 words and keep editing and it still is over. But i've giving up and putting this puppy to bed.



NOTES TO SELF
Sunrise: 7:46 am
Sunset: 4:20 pm
Book: Dirty Love by Andre Dubois (however his name is spelled...he wrote the book House of Sand and Fog, one of my favorites!)  These are stories and so far i like them!
Shout Out: Marla! If you are reading you should post a comment even if it's just happy face.
Longest Run this Week: 55 minutes.....(however knee is hurting.)
Word Count (not including Notes) : 550 exactly.




8 comments:

louielouie said...

Seven Reasons Why No One Deserves Coal in Their Stocking

1. Presents are important. Everyone needs a little gift and a little joy.

2. For the most part, we all try to do our best, as a parent, as a worker, as a spouse or as a friend. Most of us are doing the best we can.

3. I believe we are all trying to improve, and become a better parent, worker, spouse and friend. Although the road to hell may be paved with good intentions, I think those good intentions matter.

4. No one can be good all the time, politically active all the time, or work against every injustice. We all deserve a rest and a break.

5. Remorse and guilt are not healthy or helpful.

6. Life is hard. No matter who you are, there are trials to overcome. Even folks who seem to have it easy or have everything can have it tough.

7. Besides, punishment just doesn’t work.

louielouie said...

And it's never too late to make a positive step. You can still give to Philippines Relief

jojo cucina cucina said...

Thank you louie, this makes me feel alittle better..

i like your #4. I just think i take my breaks to a new level than most people. I also agree about guilt. I usually only feel guilty that i don't feel guilty. I really don't believe i need to change myself that much even if others wish i would.

re: #6 i do feel that i have it pretty easy. and i feel i might have some 'survivor's guilt' when i look at my brother and some of the other people around me and what they are dealing with. I know a lot of this ease of my life has to do with not having children. I just feel blessed more than i should be sometimes. What did i do to deserve such a nice life, husband, job, friends, etc.

I did make my Philippines deposit. I did it the old fashioned way. I sent a check! my checks no longer have my phone number on it so that helps. I gave to Red Cross instead of the Lutherans. Couldn't find that link anymore. I even looked online to see if UNICEF might be better but both are good percentage wise in their donations considering how very large they are. I'm familiar with Red Cross.

jojo cucina cucina said...

By familiar i mean i already receive THEIR mail. So that helps too.

Amanda said...

Seven Reasons I Deserve Coal in My Stocking

1. I'm still eating dairy. Dammit, dairy is a bastard. It's a source of shame for me now, which makes it that much worse.

2. I'm the worst aunt ever. I am terrible about sending cards and gifts to my nephews. I can't seem to make it happen now that I don't physically see them. (They moved to Colorado six or seven years ago. Yikes.)

3. I'm lazy. I really like doing nothing for long periods of time. I feel like I'm wasting my life.

4. Speaking of which, I watch way too much tv and a lot of it is trash.

5. My husband is the nicest person in the world, but I still crab at him about how he loads the dishwasher. It's really stupid and embarrassing. I need to knock that off. But, he really is terrible at it!

6. I didn't tell my mom I got married. Totally slipped my mind.

7. I don't visit my grandparents enough.

Happy Holidays, Jo! (I say that because the War on Christmas assholes give me nuclear rage. I don't even say it to bell ringers anymore! Take that!)

jojo cucina cucina said...

Amanda, every single one of your first five reasons could be mine. Except i'm good aunting some of my family and not so good with others. But yes, i'm so lazy but i don't even get bored being so. And i love TV so much.

Merry Christmas Amanda! (i don't let those assholes take that away from me any more like i almost did and as i almost quit flying my American flag for the same reason. I decided to take it back. Plus i sort of hate being politically correct at times.)

I'm probably going to change this blog tomorrow. I'm over my goal of 52 posts but i would like to break it especially this year as blogger is dying away. I'm officially on Christmas vacation today. Don't go back to work until Jan. 6th. Here comes the holiday chaos!!! I'm ready.

Amy said...

Amanda! Santa is pro dairy. He lives on a diet of milk and cookies. Your number one is invalid.

jojo cucina cucina said...

hahahaha.... Amy.... good point!