Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Damn You Phillip Seymour Hoffman....plus other stuff.
I had a whole long blog post on this and just deleted it and decided to say this: Damn you Phillip Seymour Hoffman for denying all of us the future of movies without you in them. You were one of THE most amazing actors in this era. It's sad that you couldn't beat your demons. Rest in Peace.
OK, on with the rest of this. All random stuff. As usual, i have no idea what i'm about to say.
1. Seattle had a huge Seahawks parade today and over a half million people showed up in the streets. The news reports that many teachers were not at school today, and some schools reported more than 1/3 of the students absent. I saw on Facebook a couple of teachers post photos from that parade and i can only hope that they took a personal leave day instead of a sick day!
2. I was emailing louie this morning and watching The Today Show when they showed the winner of The Biggest Loser. Her name is Rachel Frederickson. And as i was writing louie i told her thought this girl now looked like she was heading towards anorexia (even though everyone was oohing and aahing about how great she looked).
Here is a photo:
I didn't know at the time, but now Google is filled with stories about this girl being far too skinny. She is only 105 lbs and 5'5 - her body fat is under 18%. Jillian Michaels needs to be stopped!
3. Facebook folks, have you seen the new video you can make of your Facebook life? hahaha.... complete with music just by clicking a button! AND the photos even keep pace with the music. It's actually pretty cool how it works, but it's also kind of creepy how they choose what photos or posts to put up there.
4. Allow me one more thing about the Seahawks and why it was so important for many of us. It brought us all together, regardless of political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender, age, race, economic background. I haven't seen that in a long time. It was refreshing to be a part of something so positive and un-polarizing with the way things are these days.
5. I am SO looking forward to Jimmy Fallon taking over from Leno. David Letterman should also consider retirement - he is starting to remind me of Clint Eastwood from Gran Torino.
6. I just deleted my thoughts here about Chris Christie. I don't know what i think really. It's kind of how i feel about Amanda Knox too. What is the truth? I just wish it could be flushed out with real evidence or put both stories to bed.
7. My job at work is being posted next week so i will TOTALLY be done around March 28th. My own union (who presides over all of us in the whole state) didn't like me working emeritus because they want every vacancy to be posted full-time.
I was asked to stay on to keep things afloat as we tried to merge councils with another that is already top heavy with associate staff. I agreed as long as it wasn't full-time (and also because i love working with my Council President who is also a friend.) I still believe in unions but i do not like my own state's union leadership at all. And i have often butted heads over the years because of their hard core militant union stance. So it's time for me to go. Management doesn't want to arbitrate my staying on. And i get that.
However, i have to say this: it is my union contract that has allowed me the opportunity to retire at my age with a decent pension. So there is that. I just know a different president of my union would have seen the benefit to saving members' money by waiting for the merger.
8. Having said that, i am ready to be gone from work and have been since last summer. So i am not unhappy that it will be coming soon. I plan to go back to volunteering. AND louie and i plan to do some sewing together, maybe go to the YMCA and take up yoga...start a book club....i'll stay as busy as i want to be! I am very lucky!
Notes to Self:
Sunrise: 7:32 am
Sunset: 5:18 pm (extra 12 minutes this week)
# of cat photos i had to hide: 2
Netflixing: Breaking Bad: On Season 2, episode 10. I LOVE this show. Now is see what all the fuss was about! It's genius how they make you care about these characters who make and sell meth. Reminds me of how Pulp Fiction made me root for and love assassins.
Hi/Low temps: 34/18 (super cold this week!)
Word Count: 666. Screw it, when i saw that number i decided to let it rip. (this is not counting caption and Notes to Self.)
Follower of the Month: amulbunny...for nearly always being first!