Sunday, January 24, 2010
A Gnarly Head, a Crazy Heart, & Wiggly Fingers (& my lifelong dream of being Judge of the World)
MENU OF THE DAY:
Playing on iTunes: The Weary Kind from the movie Crazy Heart. It's by Ryan Bingham. (eque, you once sent me his song, Southside of Heaven) Both are beautiful songs.
The movie: i HIGHLY recommend this movie Crazy Heart, which stars Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhall and Colin Farrell. Bridges won a Golden Globe for this performance. Robert Duvall also stars . (And Colin and Jeff sing many of their own songs and they are good!)
What i'm reading: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Finally it's picking up, but it took 150 pages. Normally i would have tossed this book out the window for taking so long to get interested but ms. hippie's mom told me it was good.
In my glass: Gnarly Head pinot grigio.
The next song on iTunes: Patti Griffith's Wiggly Fingers.
What is disconcerting: In this movie Jeff Bridges reminded me a lot of how my ex-husband (the second one) looks, (only Jeff has better hair). But they have the same beard and heaviness in their walk and build, a similar sad charm, and the drinking.
What i keep forgetting: To take that second calcium chewable tablet.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
On with the random thoughts:
1. I wish i could sing like Patti Griffith.
2. The Supreme Court did something bad about overturning McCain/Feingold campaign laws and i am not well versed about it just yet, but i just know it's bad and when i pull my head out of the sand, i'll find out more. But get ready for ads we have hated in the past getting that much worse. It's sickening how much money is spent on this shit, especially during times like these. And i am sure unions will be right there with them. Fuck this Supreme Court for doing this.
3. I think that is the first time i have used the f-word on my blog. (It won't be the last, so cover your eyes if you are sensitive!)
4. But right now i want to leave politics alone. I almost don't want to read the paper anymore.
5. Apathy is better than Ambien.
6. So different subject: I'm thinking about starting a separate American Idol blog, i might call it Meaner than Simon.
7. But so far i haven't seen an audition yet that inspires me. (We'll see when it comes to Hollywood time. )
8. My brother's Crawfish Woman was a far better funny song than that stupid Idol's now famous Pants on the Ground. Yet 62 year old General Larry's Pants has millions of hits. And Scott only has 265 last i checked.
9. Which is most likely our family checking it out over and over. (Or maybe it's YOU, Amanda. LOL!)
10. In regards to 'working in groups' topic from the end of my last blog post and the discussion between louie, pearl and ms hippie: i have to admit i do not play well with others. I have a very hard time being inspired in a group. I work more creatively alone. My hobbies and even the sports I am active in are geared more for loners. (I think it comes from my military bratdom lifestyle.)
11. It could also be that i am not what you call ' a people person'.
12. Unless i get to choose the people.
13. That's why i want to be an American Idol judge.
14. Or just Judge of the World. Yeah, that's the career i want.
15. And the very first judging i want to do is this one: I get to choose the people who get to become parents. And i get to choose who CANNOT.
16. (And yes, i would put my very own self on the list of CANNOTs. )
17. Speaking of politics and babies: I was NOT surprised at all by John Edwards final admission of his baby. I have never ever liked John Edwards. Don Imus used to refer to him as an 'empty suit" and say what you will about Imus, but sometimes he got it right because he spoke uncarefully. (i love that in people. )
18. I am pretty sure that 'uncarefully' is not a word, but i like it, so i'm going to keep using it. (However ms. hippie, this does not mean you can use the word 'boughten'.)
19. Here is what i want in health care reform. and i don't care about anything else at this point if they can just do these few things:
a) no one with a pre-existing condition can be turned down for health care.
b) no one who gets sick can be dropped by any insurance company.
c) Children should be fully insured until the age of 26.
d) Offer reductions for plans where people take the incentive and do something about their health, i.e. quit smoking, manage their weight and exercise. etc. We have to do something about getting our country in better shape. We are such an unhealthy bunch of folks.
e) if you have always been employed but have a legitimate health condition that now precludes you from working, then Medicare should kick in early.
20. And regarding who gets to make the decision about who is healthy enough to have an insurance reduction, or who decides what IS a legitimate health condition, well then.....refer to #14.
21. The problem with Democrats is they try to do ALL things ALL at once. I like the Increment Plan best. As Judge of the World, that is what i would call all of my plans and it would be how i would get them passed in Congress.
22. Also Democrats (and union leaders) believe EVERYONE has to be heard. And i don't subscribe to that at all. (I think they should just listen to me!) As Judge of the World, i now get to decide who can speak and who needs to shut up. Or maybe as Judge of the World, I am the only one who gets to speak. (Yeah, i like that one a lot.)
23. As Judge of the World, though i need to make sure i get summers off. I hope that is possible.
24. And the Republicans make me crazy with their faux rage and their pretense of taking care of the people and the wackos like Beck and Coulter and Limbaugh who inflame for the sake of a paycheck ....but.....
25. ....i forgot. i wasn't talking about politics.
26. Here's another Internet photo. Colin Farrell has a small role in Crazy Heart but he has a fabulous pulled back ponytail that i always swoon for when i see a man sporting such hair. (Think Johnny Depp in Chocolat.) I could not find Colin's Crazy Heart photo, maybe because his role was uncredited in the movie. But this one will do. He is Crazy Cute!
OK, y'all know the rules, what are your random thoughts today????