1. Today is the birthday of my longest best friend in the world. We have been friends since 1979 when we both were working at Mann Junior High. (Back then she was a Home Ec teacher and i was a Student Accounts Secretary.)
We used to run together in the park after work every day for years. We left our first husbands who(m?) we had both married at very early ages during the same year. (I think her ex blamed ME for the divorce and my ex blamed HER!) I've known her kids since before they were born - (I even ran with Nick before he was born!). I would have dated either one of her brothers back in the day had the timing been right. (Not sure they would have dated me though.) I was her Maid of Honor (but not a very good one because i was poor and distracted by dating back in 1987) when she married again (Emma's dad). She brought me Guiness Stout and Vanity Fair when i had pneumonia and Brian was out of the state. And she made me pajama pants during another time i was sick after my nephew died. She sent me a card in the mail every day during that time.
My husband says of her, "Your friend Sarah is such a good friend to you, she's a good egg." So Happy Birthday, louie/Sarah!
You are indeed a 'good egg', but not one that cracks, because you know that eggs do not dance with stones and we're both stones. (Neither of us do needy high maintenance friends well. )
2. I just got in from running in 80+ degrees in the hot sun. I am not complaining because i already complained way too much that it was cold and cloudy. But i'm mentioning it now to say i weighed myself before and after. And i lost nearly a full pound of water weight from that run! (short 1/10ths)
3. I have been watching Shark Week on Discovery. I love shark stuff, ever since i read the book Jaws and saw the movie. But then, I have nothing to worry about, i don't even swim in our pool, much less the ocean. I'm thinking it's kind of mean for Discovery to have Shark Week during the summer when people want to play in the ocean the most.
4. I went to work for four hours today cause it's money time of the month. It wasn't so bad because i knew it was only a half day and i got a lot done. But i still am not ready to go back. Normally i am by now, but not this year.
5. I hope my union goes on strike. Then i'm done. If that happens i think i will take 6 months off and then look for a job. But i doubt my union is dumb enough to go on strike right now. We can't be THAT greedy.
6. So the Debt Debate is in tentative agreement. I haven't watched TV yet today to see when the Senate vote is happening, but i expect it might be today? or is it over already? I doubt it, because the Breaking News on Comcast as i logged in was about a near death experience that Lou Diamond Phillips had years ago on the set of Young Guns.....
Anyway, I have no idea what to think about this outcome, but i loved the article by conservative columnist Kathleen Parker. She started it out:
"Take names. Remember them. The behavior of certain Republicans who call themselves tea party conservatives are the most destructive posse of midguided "patriots" we've seen in recent memory."
The names she lists (and i am sure that there will be more to come): Michele Bachman (of course), co-founders Jenny Beth Martin, Mark Meckler, and Judson Phillips; Rep Jim Jordan (Ohio); and South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint.
7. I imagine nobody in Congress wants any polls taken about their popularity these days, which must hover around Gaddafi's or Casey Anthony's, take your pick.
8. louie, i bought a chardonnay today called "Emma Pearl" because of the name. I'll let you know how it is. Ask Emma if she has heard of it. I hope it's good cause it was almost $18.
9. OK, that's all i got for now. How is everybody's summer going? I'm glad for these last few days of sun before going back to work next Monday!