Wednesday, November 23, 2011
I hate green bean casserole & other Thanksgiving musings
Menu of the Day:
Music: Shawn Mullins "Ghost of Johnny Cash"
Number of views of this blog since i started: 21,545
In my glass: a Cline Mouvedre. Really big and nice red. (first glass)
Ways I've been a bad girl: I've been bitching about going to Thanksgiving at my mom's house. Two years in a row we took off on our own and i loved it. But Brian wanted to do family. So we are. My parent's house is smaller than our 1000 foot condo and very messy and cluttered and they are having 16 people over!
Ways I've been a good girl: I didn't murder anyone at work this week. But i wanted to. I am at a point in my career where i can no longer tolerate repetitive incompetence or passive aggressive behavior without feeling my blood pressure rising. It's really time for me to get out of unions. I hope i can hang on until 2013.
The Best Thing this Week: I have finalized plans for our custom home office computer station with the cabinet makers. I can't wait!
What I'm bringing: I watched Guy Fieri make a REAL green bean casserole dish with three different kinds of mushrooms and real shallots fried up and a mushroom/chicken broth gravy and it looked great and fun to make. My mom always makes the soggy mushroom soup one. I'm also bringing twice baked sweet potatoes that you mash up with real whipping cream and brown sugar and put back in the shells and top with pecans - my mom will be disappointed that it's not the kind topped with marshmellows. (This is another Guy Fieri recipe)
About the Photo: Each weekday morning i get up 2 hours before i have to get to work because i like to read in the bathtub and each morning Brian brings me a cup of coffee. This is what he brought me last week. He found a mug at Starbucks that lets you write on it with chalk. The night before i had said rather excitedly that we'll be getting a Christmas tree in only two weeks. The message on the mug says "Only two weeks" with a little picture. So i took a photo.
On with the randomness.....
1. HA! Newt Gingrich is now the Republican frontrunner. Now i'm starting to think that John Huntsman can be the nominee cause he's making the least amount of gaffes. Not that making huge stupid gaffes ever stopped the American people before from voting in an idiot.
2. And how about that commercial Romney put out that takes Obama's quote "If we talk about the economy we lose" which is REALLY Obama quoting McCain during the last election. I'm starting to think Romney has more balls than i thought!
3. It has rained and rained and rained here. Seems like every Thanksgiving time around these parts is when we get the terrible flooding and trees falling over. I am thankful that though my family will be squeezed into a small area i am not driving over the pass. (So there, that's me being positive and thankful! )
4. My husband bought a new car last week after looking for two years! I love it. It's a 2008 Honda Element in that cool burnt orange color. He sold his truck to his nephew and we still have the 1992 Honda Accord that we'll keep. But i love that his new ride has an airbag for me now AND a cd player instead of a cassette!
5. I turned on our Christmas lights outside tonight. (Brian put them up last weekend, a rare non-rainy day.)
6. Does anyone hear watch Parenthood? I just love this show. It's so real. And i care about ALL the characters, even the flawed ones. This is Ron Howard's (Opie) show. Let me know if you do. This is becoming my favorite show on TV.
7. I am reading Diane Keaton's book and much like i imagine her personality, the book is all over the place and jumps from subject to subject, but it works somehow and i like it. It makes me think i could write a book too, only i need to become a famous person first.
8. As i type, my husband is trying to figure out how to get his new Honda Element on his side of the garage AND keep his drum set over there. HAHAHA.... This i gotta see!
9. He just came in to tell me he hung up my new birthday bike from last year. The one i wanted with a basket and a little ringer. this means that i will unlikely ever be able to ride it again because it is SO HEAVY and i will never be able to get it down.
Ok, that's all i got. I need to try and make these shorter anyway and for some reason that is hard for me, even when i have nothing to say!