Sunday, August 26, 2012

If you're over 40, you need these!




Product Endorsement: 
I have been unable to wear bifocals and have wasted money buying two pairs in the past three years. Since i was in my teens, (maybe earlier) I needed glasses to drive and see distance, but my last eye appointment shows i am legal to drive without corrective lenses for the first time ever. And i can even read the crawl on CNN now where i used to need glasses at the movies. 

However, i can't focus on my food when i'm eating. And i can't read a thing anymore. I liked it better the other way. 

By last count I own 8 or 9 pairs of readers, not counting my prescription readers. (A couple of weeks ago I misplaced the expensive ones - my prescriptions, but i know they will eventually turn up because i never lose things.) I try to keep a pair in every room (and in my car and at work) because i keep taking them off and leaving them only to be annoyed when i need them again. 

Anyway, i think i have found the end all this problem: 

These are Clic readers and i think they are so cool! They are connected by a strong magnet at the bridge as you can see in the bottom photo. But they look good on. When you don't need them you just let them hang around your neck. Much better than those granny chains IMO. 


you can find them here

I can't wait to use them flyfishing and taking photos. 

Latest Books: I just finished Gold by the author who wrote Little Bee. Great book about two Olympic women cyclists who are competitors for the 2012 Olympics and are best friends. I really liked it. It's another one of those books i kept picking up and putting down that ended up being a favorite. I wrote about this in a previous blog post.

Now i'm reading Jonathan Tropper's new one One More Thing Before I Go. He really writes for men but i love him. The main character is always a hapless, sad figure without much redemption. But funny too. 

Grits doesn't post here anymore but she told me about Richard Russo's Interventions. I just got that too but haven't started it. 

Shout Out: To EoDE.... Where are you girl? I miss seeing you here. I was reading old blog posts the other day and seeing so many folks who are gone. Is everybody Facebooking? Louie i hope you don't leave us when you join the FB world. If anything, it should give you more to talk about. 

What's Happening this Week: The Big Wedding of the Family Louvrak. After 9 years my brother Troy's son Brian is marrying his girlfriend this Saturday. They are having a similar wedding like mine. A friend is performing the ceremony. They are being married in a hall. No tuxes. Not too big of a wedding. Should be fun. My cousin is coming in to stay with us this Thursday, so I'll be away for a bit. 

In the News: Lance Armstrong. (and then Neil Armstrong)... I have always thought Lance was guilty of doping. Maybe when he first started he told himself it was okay because of his famous testicular cancer. But you can't possibly have 10 teammates ready to testify against you without you being guilty, can you? 

In the Air: Autumn! Thank you summer for your two weeks. See you next year!

Speaking of In the Air. That song In the Air Tonight used to be a favorite of mine by Phil Collins back in the 1980's. Now i can barely stand to listen to it. I think my next blog posts will be about how we change our minds about songs, movies, people, politicians, etc. 


Ok, i didn't really have much to say today, but it was Sunday and i wanted to change this blog. 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand the purpose of the readers separating at the bridge. Don't they slide off your neck if they aren't connected?

I bought Little Bee at Target a few weeks ago, and am getting ready to start reading it. I remember how much you loved it.

Did Brian L ever get to try skydiving?

I am feeling fall in the air in the mornings and evenings, but it still is pretty hot most days here. I'm ready for the change.

I don't like most of the music from the 80s anymore.

Facebook is boring me to tears. When it's not boring, the political posts are annoying. I wish I could quit it.

I'm going camping and hiking for Labor Day weekend.

B

Anonymous said...

PS, I like your new blog layout, but I still miss your dance photo. :)

B

jojo cucina cucina said...

eque/Barbara, you should quit, then just commit to working on your blog. I don't think you'll miss at it. I actually miss Facebook less than i missed Gumbo for awhile and then after awhile i never missed Gumbo either. I might not go back. I wouldn't be surprised if Facebook didn't go the way that MySpace did.

I actually liked my posts on Facebook, I don't believe i overposted and i never wrote about banal stuff, like where i was at at that moment or my sniffles, or really even politics....at least i don't think my posts were dull, so i've been told. But i abused it by checking it too much. And i rarely found anything that jazzed me. It might change if I come back and dump a lot of 'friends'. I am enjoying my emancipation from Facebook.

Brian L. never did make it skydiving. He really wanted to do it ON his 30th birthday. And so i think as wedding plans got closer, the significance of doing something like skydiving on a special date was lost. I'm not sure when he'll do it now.

So re: the glasses. You put them around your neck the, click the magnet at the bridge and make sure the back piece goes under your hair, not over it llike a headband. And you slide them over your ears like regular glasses. And they feel like regular glasses and you aren't aware of the piece behind your head. When you aren't wearing them, they hang around your neck like a necklace.

Anonymous said...

so the break at the bridge is just for when you first put them on, not every time you take them away from your eyes?

"I wouldn't be surprised if Facebook didn't go the way that MySpace did." - don't say that! Jeff bought their stock, lol!

i check fb too much too. J is always bugging me about it. But I don't think I have the fortitude to quit it, hahaha! i always liked your facebook posts. i have blocked a lot of people who constantly post the banal stuff or the reposted photos with messages on them.

I really need to just read more books.

jojo cucina cucina said...

The break at the bridge is for putting them on AND taking them off. I did this without thinking about it today when i was talking to my colleague at work and she was ...what??? THOSE are so cool! Because she had no idea that they spit apart at the bridge because you can't see them. Nor do people notice them that much when they hang around your neck. I had been wearing them all week and she only noticed them when i took them off to hang around my neck.

EoDe??? you're not here? shoot....

jojo cucina cucina said...

Is anyone else watching America's Got Talent? I have to go see what the results are tonight. I used to LOVE American Idol, as anyone who did the Gumbo site knew. However, this show is far better. Really lots better. I love Howard Stern on this show, but then i always got a kick out of him anyway. He's tamed on this, but still Howard Stern. I love all the judges and the talent is so much more than American Idol. I might start blogging on this next year when i start from the beginning. I only started watching a few weeks ago.

jojo cucina cucina said...

hahaha. i have a pair of readers by the iMac. And i forgot they were not the ones that come apart and just now i tried to take them apart at the bridge, almost broke them in two.

EoDE said...

Thanks for the shout! I think I may be one of the last people in the world who’s not on Facebook, so I can’t use that as an excuse. I actually read your blog pretty regularly, but I tend to overthink my responses to your posts, and by the time I’ve settled on something to say, you’re on a new topic and I’m not in sync any more!

Those readers are cool. I wear contacts, but several years ago my eye doctor recommended I wear readers to supplement them (it was either that or have one contact with corrected far vision and one with corrected near vision, the thought of which made me dizzy). Like you, I’ve always been offput by the idea of the granny chains for glasses, so these offer a really nice alternative--I think I could live with something like that.

I’m not reading anything at the moment but am awaiting the return of The Art of Fielding to our library, based in part on your recommendation. According to the online catalog, it was available a couple of weeks ago, but when I got to the library ten minutes later, it was already gone (!), and it’s still out. That only makes me even more eager to get my hands on it.

Looking forward to your blog post about changing tastes in music, movies, politicians, and the like. I’ve already started thinking about how my tastes have changed (or not, as the case may be).

Enjoy the wedding — it sounds lovely!

Anonymous said...

EoDE here — thanks for the shout! I think I may be one of the last people in the world who’s not on Facebook, so I can’t use that as an excuse. I actually read your blog pretty regularly, but I tend to overthink my responses to your posts, and by the time I’ve settled on something to say, you’re on a new topic and I’m not in sync any more!

Those readers are cool. I wear contacts, but several years ago my eye doctor recommended I wear readers to supplement them (it was either that or have one contact with corrected far vision and one with corrected near vision, the thought of which made me dizzy). Like you, I’ve always been offput by the idea of the granny chains for glasses, so these offer a really nice alternative — I think I could live with something like that.

I’m not reading anything at the moment but am awaiting the return of The Art of Fielding to our library, based in part on your recommendation. According to the online catalog, it was available a couple of weeks ago, but when I got to the library ten minutes later, it was already gone (!), and it’s still out. That only makes me even more eager to get my hands on it.

Looking forward to your blog post about changing tastes in music, movies, politicians, and the like. I’ve already started thinking about how my tastes have changed.

Enjoy the wedding — it sounds lovely!

louielouie said...

We are at Chevy Chase Beach Cabins – the best place in the world. I forgot how much I appreciate the well-stocked kitchens and hominess of these cabins. Our view from cabin 6 is spectacular. Last night the moon was HUGE and it was so cool over Discovery Bay. I’ll ask Em to bring her camera when she comes up this afternoon.

Jo, I found your post from July 2007 and one from Ron and me right after. You were commenting on how hot it was the first night and G&Ts at the pool. It sounds like we were at cabin 6 that winter and then again in July. I was trying to think when we came here for the first time. I have never stayed in the one-room cabins or the meadow but have been in all the others with different combinations of folks.

Don’t usually like to go away over Labor Day, with school starting right after, but this year I really needed it. Have a little work I need to complete (got next to nothing done at my mom’s last week) but I vow to forget work/school and relax. It’s low tide in an hour or so and I am going on a long beach walk.

There is a chill in the air, but I like it. It’s perfect for nights and it’s supposed to be nice in the afternoons. We have to go into Seattle on sunday for a wedding, but other than that. I'm going no where and doing nothing. Perfect!!

Amanda said...

My dad has those reading glasses that have little lights on the sides. He looks funny in them. I bet he'd like the breakaway glasses. His head is so enormous, it always looks like he's wearing ladies' or kids' glasses.

I love weddings! I would like to know everything, please. Dress. Food. Colors. Flowers. Bridesmaids. Ring. Family drama. I hope it's a great one!

jojo cucina cucina said...

Hey!
Family L o u v r a k wedding Day Two. I'm home, i cannot party four days in a row. And last night was the rehearsal party that was past midnight and tomorrow is the wedding and then a BBQ at our place on Sunday. So i'm home by myself and my cousin and husband went to my brother Scott's house 5 minutes away.

Family Drama this morning. The ordained friend of my nephew Brian L. cancelled just this morning, so my nephew called me at work a little freaked out. I can only imagine how his fiance felt. But now my brother Scott is performing the ceremony and my husband Brian B. got his former frontman from his old band to make it legal. Scott will do a great job. And Brian originally was going to choose him anyway. Scott is the one in a video i put a couple of years ago who made up the song "Crawfish Woman" on the spot. He'll pull this out just fine and probably do a better job anyway. So no worries there.

Amanda, i bought these same glasses for Brian B. YOu've seen them i'm sure and i bought him the LONGs for his giant head.

Louie, say hi to Joanna and everybody for me. I'll miss those guys when we go back. I wish we could buy it , the four of us. Ron could open up a private practice in the mansion. Brian can take care of the yard and i didn't mean it in the email when i said i would be pool boy. I meant that i want to HIRE and SUPERVISE the pool boy.

jojo cucina cucina said...

P.S. My new All Clad stainless steel Tri-Ply came in the mail today. I think i'm going to cook myself an omelet for dinner to try it out! I'm very excited about it.